Skip to main content

Historic Building Profiles

Mitchell Hall (1958)

When Mitchell Hall opened its doors in September 1958, it was the first new campus dormitory built since Shoemaker Hall in 1915. Mitchell Hall also began campus expansion for student housing. By 1970, nearly all of today's current residence halls were completed.

Mitchell Hall, 1960s

Financing

State financing was made available in 1955 to construct the building, but not as planned. In 1957, the financing was adjusted that allowed a planned wing to be constructed to the still unfinished building. The cost of the initial construction cost $893,709 while the estimated cost of the addition was $552,897.

Architect and Contractors

The building and its addition was designed by Frank W. Jackson and Associates. Contractors included Art Wahl and Son (general), Sporleder Heating and Plumbing (mechanical), and Erickson Electrical Service (electrical).

Construction

In the fall 1956, construction began on the site of the old Mitchell House, home of William B. Mitchell and his large family.

With work wrapping up on the original construction, in July 1958, work began on a north side wing that ran east to west. The wing opened in fall 1959.

When Mitchell Hall first opened in fall 1958, it housed 215 female students. With the new addition finished for the fall of 1959, it housed 400 students. Each 12 x 16-foot room was equipped with built-in wardrobes, dressers, occasional chairs, "Hollywood" beds, and beige drapes. Each floor had a modern lounge with a television, piano, magazine racks, tables and chairs, and a small kitchen. The building also had a first floor lounge. A ground floor snack bar was open to campus and it became the "unofficial student center".

In 1980, Mitchell Hall became co-ed, the last campus residence hall to do so.

William B. Mitchell, undated

Naming

Mitchell had deep connections with St. Cloud State, serving as resident director to the Minnesota State College Board from 1877 to 1901. To honor Mitchell's service to St. Cloud State as well as acknowledge the site where the family home stood (which was razed in 1938), the state college board on May 13, 1957 authorized that the building be named the William B. Mitchell Hall.

Dedication

Mitchell Hall was dedicated on October 26, 1958, along with the completed Campus Laboratory School and the still under construction Science-Mathematics Building (later renamed Brown Hall). The children of William B. Mitchell, six daughters and one son, were present.

The blueprints for Mitchell Hall as it looked when it opened in 1958 are available in the University Archives' Search portal.

Architect's rendering, 1956?

Construction, 1958?

Mitchell Hall snack bar, 1960s

Suntanning outside of Mitchell Hall, May 1983

Additional sources:

Other sources used include: Chronicle articles on September 14, 1934, April 29. 1938, October 9, 1956, October 16, 1956, April 2, 1957, May 13, 1958, September 16, 1958, October 21, 1958, October 28, 1958, and April 4, 1980.